Lean Six Sigma is an approach that combines the process improvement benefits of the Six Sigma method with the cost reduction benefits of lean production.
Lean production is a system of production based on eliminating 'muda', the term meaning waste in its broadest interpretation.
Lean production involves:
- eliminating defects, achieving perfect first pass quality
- eliminating all non-value adding activities
- continuous improvement (kaizen)
- using pull systems of production (eg. kanban)
- flexibility, ability for quick changeovers and immediate response to changes in demand
- long term relationships with suppliers involving strong and open communication
Terms used in Lean Production include:
Theory of Constraints
Total Productive Maintenance
Value Stream Maps
Work in Progress
Work in Queue
Follow the link for Lean Production in MiC Quality Six Sigma Glossary.