The term 'DMAIC' stands for the five main steps
in the Six Sigma process improvement method namely
Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control.
* the customer and their 'Critical To Quality'
issues and expectations
* the business processes that are involved, the
boundaries of the project
* create a process map
* decide on the metrics 'Big Y', little y's and
* form a project team and develop a project charter
* the existing process by gathering data from
* the data
* identify the gaps between existing and desired
* identify sources of variation
* decide on the processes that will be improved
* gather more data ('measure') if necessary
* propose solutions
* carry out pilot studies, design of experiments
etc. to test and evaluate the proposed solutions
* develop an implementation plan
* implement systems and procedures to ensure
the improvements are sustained
* develop procedures, control plans, staff training
A Six Sigma project works through each of these
steps in turn, completing each before moving on
to the next.
Follow the link for DMAIC
Quality Six Sigma Glossary.